3 days private tour in the Uyuni Salt Flat, beginning and ending in Uyuni. Includes transportation, superior accommodation and meals.
- English speaking driver/guide: US$ 162 per group.
*Subject to availability when booking.
You are checking a tour that begins in Uyuni. If you want to see tours that begin in San Pedro de Atacama, click here.
How to book
- Select the departure date from the calendar.
- Select the number of people.
- Click on “Add to cart”.
- Pay online a deposit of the total price of the program.
- Once paid, the booking is subject to confirmation according to the availability. If you want to check the availability before paying, write us to email@example.com.
- You can reschedule or cancel the tour (with 100% refund), until 31 days before it starts.
Beginning: Day 1 at 10:00 am at your hotel in Uyuni.
End: Day 3 at 6:00 pm in Uyuni’s downtown.
We will pick you up at your hotel to begin the tour outside Uyuni. We will visit the train cemetery, where we will be able to stop and take some pictures, so then we go to Colchani.
After seeing the craftwork made of salt, we will enter to the Uyuni Salt Flat. We will pass by the Dakar Monument and the Salt Museum.
After that, we will go to the Incahuasi Island, limestone formation in the middle of the salt flat. We will go over the marked track, surrounded of giant cactus, to access to the top of the island, from where we will have a panoramic view of the salt flat.
After that, we will view the sunset in the salt flat, before going to our hotel to have dinner and get rest.
We will leave our hotel early in the morning to takethe route by the town of San Cristóbal.
After that, we will visit the Rocks Valley and the Negra Lagoon, so then we begin the visits to the Bolivian altiplanic lagoons.
We will pass by Cañapa, Hedionda and Chiarkota lagoons, making stops in every one of them to take pictures and be able to rest a little bit of the journey in the vehicle.
In addition, we will pass by the Honda Lagoon, before continue the road to our next accommodation.
This last fay of tour, we will visit the Stone Tree and the Colorada Lagoon, one of the most important tourist attractions in the Bolivian High Plato, after the Uyuni Salt Flat.
Following this stop, we will know the Sol de Mañana Geysers, the Polques Hot Springs and we will make the last stops in the Blanca and Verde lagoons, near the Licancabur Volcano.
After this, we will get to the border, so then we begin the direct return to the city of Uyuni, as well as the standard service.
The Trip Cost Includes
- Hotel pickup in Uyuni.
- Private transportation.
- Spanish speaking driver/guide.
- All meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- Accommodation in hotels:
- • Two nights in 3-stars hotels, in double or queen-size private room, with private bathroom, hot shower and solar panels heating:
- • 1st night in Hotel Luna Salada (Hotel Cristal Samaña or Hotel Palacio de Sal, according to availability).
- • 2nd night in Hotel Tayka del Desierto (Hotel Jardines de Mallku Cueva or Eco Hotel Los Flamencos, according to availability).
The Trip Cost Excludes
- Drinks at hotel meals.
- Access to bathrooms along the way (approximately Bs. 6 each time).
- Travel insurance with health-care coverage.
- Entrance fees to parks (Bs. 186 per person).
- o Entrance fee to the Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve (Bs. 150 per person).
- o Entrance fee to the Polques Hot Springs (Bs. 6 per person).
- o Entrance fee to Incahuasi Island (Bs. 30 per person).
As it is a private service, it is possible begin the tour any day of the week, every month of the year.
Because of the hotel high demand in the area, we recommend you to book at least one or two months in advance.
The vaccine against yellow fiebe is not required for the tour to the Uyuni Salt Flat. It is only required if you subsequently plan to visit the Bolivian jungle.
The tour is made on a 4×4 (Toyota Land Cruiser) in Bolivia.
The program with hotels has a similar level of structure for every accommodation. The rooms are private, single, double or triple, according to the availability, all have heating and private bathroom with warm water. The hostels, on the other hand, have double private rooms, with twin beds or queen size bed, according to availability, no heating and private bathroom with hot water. There is no internet access.
The accommodations have sockets type C, compatible with the types E and F. Anyway, our recommendation is that you carry an adapter to avoid any inconvenience.
Each passenger may carry at most 1 bag or suitcase of 18 kilos which will go above the 4×4.
The beds in Refugio Huayllajara (accommodation of the first night) do not include sheets, only include blankets and bedspread. If you don´t have sleeping bag, you can rent one directly in San Pedro de Atacama, the day before the tour. The rent has a price of CLP$ 5.000 per person, for the 4-day tour.
In summer (December to March), the temperature ranges from about 4 °C as a minimum, to 23 °C maximum.
In winter (June to September) the temperature ranges from about -20 °C as a minimum, to 16 °C maximum.
We recommend to bring 300 bolivianos per person for expenses not included in the tour, as entrances to parks (186 bolivianos per person), access to toilets and buying of souvenirs.
Most of the tour is made above 13,123 ft. of altitude so it is quite likely to suffer from altitude sickness specially the first day of the tour. To avoid or reduce the general feeling of discomfort, we recommend acclimate to the altitude one or two days above 8,202 ft., drink lots of water before and during the tour, eat light meals (avoid meat) the previous days, and do not drink alcohol the night before the beginning of the tour.
The meals are varied, and includes tea, coffee, bread, cookies and fruit for breakfast, and meat, pasta, rice, soup and vegetables for lunch and dinner. In case you need a vegetarian menu, you must ask for it writing at firstname.lastname@example.org at the moment you make the online booking.
In case of rain, the order of the places visited and the accommodation places are subject to change, because some of the roads might be closed. Added to the previous information, water in the Uyuni Salt Flat is an important obstacle and the Incahuasi Island (located in the center of the salt flat) remains closed. This means the Incahuasi Island cannot be visited and we enter to the salt flat only for a certain distance, so the passengers are safe.
The mirror effect occurs when there is water on the salt flat. This happens only in rainy periods (January and February) and after them (March).
The tour is made in the Altiplano area, at an altitude above 9,842.5 ft. Just with this, our body is submitted to an abnormal stress, which can cause discomfort and risk in people with the conditions mentioned in the restriction’s section. Moreover, the tour does not have health insurance and there are not health centers to treat this kind of situations in a proper manner on the route.
Yes. The English-speaking guide service for the whole tour, has an additional cost of US$ 162 per group and it is subject to availability when booking.
During the months from January to April, it takes place the weather phenomenon known as Altiplano winter, rain season in the central Andes. Due to this, is is possible that the described itinerary is modified as follows:
- The Incahuasi Island is not visited because this is in the center of the salt flat, place where there is the largest amount of water during the rain season.
Force majeure changes
These are reference itineraries. The route to get to the salt flat, the places visited, the indicated order and the end time will always be subject to changes according to weather conditions, road conditions, demonstrations and accommodations availability. The confirmation of the itinerary is obtained in the briefing that the local supplier gives a day before the beginning of the activity, which does not mean that it will not be modified due to the happening of some of the situations already mentioned once the tour has already begun.
- 1 person: US$ 1,600 per person.
- Group of 2 people: US$ 890 per person.
- Group of 3 people: US$ 750 per person.
- Group of 4 people: US$ 650 per person.
- Group of 5 people: US$ 620 per person.
- Group of 6 people: US$ 570 per person.
*Even though the 4×4 vehicle has space for six passengers plus the guide, the last seat of the vehicle is more cramped that the other seats. Therefore, if you would like for all travelers to be able to sit comfortably, we suggest doing the tour in two groups of three each (two separate bookings).
- Comfortable and warm clothing.
- Comfortable shoes (ideally trekking shoes).
- Swimsuit and towel (for Polques Hot Springs).
- Toilet paper.
- Water (1 litre per person, for the first day. The rest of the days you can buy it on the road).
- Passport or ID card.
- Bs. 350 for expenses not included on the tour (entrance fees, taxes, bathroom, water and souvenirs, among others).
- Minimum age required of 7 years old.
- Not recommended for people suffering hypertension, heart failure, asthma or similar, for whom visiting places above 4000 meters of altitude may present a risk for their health (the tour is made mostly above 4000 meters of altitude, even reaching 4850 meters of altitude one of the days of the tour).
- Not allowed for pregnant women.